From today 13th may 2020, Self Employed people whose business has been affected by coronavirus can apply for grants from the government.

Below is a link to the current guidance from HMRC, but in essence you will need to ensure you have a valid government gateway set up. If you don’t have one, then you can apparently set this up when checking your eligibility.

The first thing I would suggest you do is check your eligibility here. The first thing it asks for is your UTR number. You will find this on the top left hand corner of your last tax return we sent to you. If you can’t locate it then please come back to us and we can supply it to you.

If you operate through a partnership each partner will need to claim using their individual UTR’s not the partnership one.

In the link below there is a section on “How to claim” which explains that the portal will not be open until 13th May and HMRC will inform you when you can make your claim (they might be staggering claims). The process does sound relatively straight forward with HMRC calculating how much you will get based on previously submitted tax returns, so hopefully will be a quick and easy job.

Please ensure your contact details held with HMRC are up to date, in particular your email address.

For more details see the page on “About claiming a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme

Good luck, of course, here to help so do get in touch if you are unsure.

Ivybridge Accountants Team