Businesses with less than 250 staff can now claim back up to 2 weeks of SSP paid to their employees should they meet the criteria. The online claiming system is now up and running which could help many UK companies whose staff had to self-isolate or shield due to the pandemic.

There are some simple eligibility criteria for the employer to meet for this application. You must be claiming for an employee who’s eligible for sick pay and their absence was due to coronavirus.You also have to have a PAYE payroll scheme that was created and started on or before 28 February 2020 and had fewer than 250 employees on 28 February 2020 across all your PAYE payroll schemes.  Great news if you are using Ivybridge Accountants to manage your payroll as we are able to make this claim on your behalf.

Eligible employees.

You can claim for any of your employees eligible for SSP at the time of sickness and had already received a payment from you. Their period of sickness must be related to coronavirus and includes employees who had to self-isolate for 14 days due to showing symptoms or someone they lived with was showing symptoms; they were self-isolating because the government notified them they were in contact with someone with coronavirus (the new track and trace) or they have received a letter from their GP or the NHS asking them to shield for at least 12 weeks.

You can claim from the first qualifying day your employee is off work if the period of sickness started on or after:

13 March 2020 – if your employee had coronavirus or the symptoms or is self-isolating because someone they live with has symptoms

16 April 2020 – if your employee was shielding because of coronavirus

28 May 2020 – if your employee has been notified by the NHS or public health bodies that they’ve come into contact with someone with coronavirus.

How much can you claim?

The weekly SSP rate before6 April 2020 was £94.25 and is now £95.85. If you’re an employer who pays more than the weekly rate of Statutory Sick Pay you can only claim up to the weekly rate paid.

You will not need your employee to provide you with a doctor’s note to make this claim. You could ask them to give you a copy of their isolation note from NHS 111 or shielding letter should you wish to keep those in your records for reference.

You can find out more about the application process itself here: